To make an appointment, read below.
Grim North Tattoo and Piercing
167 High street
Here are a couple things to know and consider.
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS FAQ section COMPLETELY before e-mailing or asking questions. This helps me to waste less time repeating myself and more time drawing and doing your tattoos!
You must be 18 to get a tattoo, no exceptions, thanks!
DO NOT SHOW UP WITH A SUNBURN!
How old do I have to be to get a tattoo, do I need I.D. and can my parents sign for me?
In the state of NH, you MUST be 18 to get a tattoo. No exceptions, no parental permission. We need a legal form of I.D. with a photo.
Forms of I.D. we accept; State issued license or non-drivers I.D., Military I.D. or a Passport. I.D. must have a recognizable photo.
Every person getting a tattoo MUST provide an I.D. no matter your age.
If you show up to your appointment without your I.D., we will have to reschedule so please do not forget!
How do I book an appointment for a tattoo?
Please fill out this appointment form HERE. If you have images, you can attach them to an e-mail at GRIMNORTH@ME.COM. Describe your tattoo as accurately and thoroughly as possible. Please explain your placement on your body(left or right), your size guess, your budget, the correct spelling of any words in your tattoo, and a description of your design. It should only take one or two messages to get your idea across. The less back-and-forth emailing we do, the faster we can get to your tattoo. That means you need to include your thoughts on size and placement, and any budget or time constraints. You also need to include any previous correspondence from me so that I know what we’re discussing.
After I email you, then what?
Once I receive your form, I will reply. Because of my large workload and many requests, I can not take on every single tattoo inquiry. I might send your idea to another artist that I think will enjoy your design more or tattoo it better. Keep in mind that I get a lot of e-mail, so it can sometimes take a week or more to reply.
What’s a deposit and how does it work?
Once I message you about your design, you will need to leave a deposit. I WILL NOT draw your tattoo without a deposit and and appointment. You can either stop in to leave it in cash/cc or leave one here. The deposit varies depending on the tattoo size from 50-250$. (if we would like you to leave more than $50, we’ll let you know ahead of time. Otherwise it will be $50)
- All deposits are non-refundable and holds your appointment.
- It goes toward your LAST appointment.
- It is not to purchase the artwork itself, but as a downpayment on your custom tattoo.
- If you must cancel, please give us at least 48 hours of notice. (more would be preferable)
- If you cancel with 48 hours (or more) of notice, you will not lose your deposit the 1st time. The second cancelation will result in a forfeit of the deposit.
- If you cancel within 48 hours, your deposit is forfeit and you’ll need to pay for your next appointment in advance to reschedule.
- If you no show/no call, you lose your deposit and you will have to leave a deposit in the amount of the entire tattoo, (or in the case of a large multiple session tattoo, $400) before we will reschedule you.
- If you show up more than 15 minutes late, you lose your deposit.
- Please make sure that you are prepared to be tattooed, for the time that you have scheduled. (i.e.. on time, do not leave early, have the appropriate amount of money as agreed upon or the hourly rate for the hours that you are scheduled.)
- If you have a budget for the appointment, make sure to let us know while scheduling you so that there aren’t any miscommunications.
- If you don’t show up/call, disappear for 6 months etc… you’ll lose your deposit.
- If I feel like you don’t respect my time, or value my services, I will probably discontinue our work relationship.
- If you cancel, consider if you think it would be a legitimate excuse for us to use on you. (i.e.. you get offered double time to work instead. Would you think it’s acceptable to cancel our appointment because another client offered me more money than you did, despite our scheduled appointment?)
After you leave a deposit, what happens?
- After leaving a deposit, you will go on the waiting list. Each tattooer has their own personal waiting list. The length of your wait will depend on the artists workload, and the time of year. Tax season and summer are often much busier than winter or spring. (Josh has a much shorter waiting list, and he has more Saturday appointments available at this time.) The waiting list is broken into 2 sections, Saturday appointments and weekday appointments. When you leave your deposit you go on the list in order. If you are working on a multiple session tattoo, your name will go on the list each month for the amount of appointments you need. You will keep your place on the list for the duration of the tattoo, moving up as tattoos started before yours are finished. When you are a new client, starting a new tattoo, or have taken a break, you will be placed on the list in order, after the people who are already on the list. Because Saturday appointments are limited, that can make the Saturday lists fill up very quickly.
- Each month (a month ahead of time) we begin calling people on our lists. We call our Saturday waiting lists first, and after 3 days, we begin calling the rest of the list in order. We offer clients all of the appointments available, so returning our calls, or answering is the best way to get a date that works for you. If you wait days to return our call, do not be surprised that there are less appointments.
- If you are put on the waiting list and are called, and you decide to skip that month, you will be added to the next month’s waiting list at the end of the list. If you skip your appointment for 3 months, you will forfeit your deposit and will be taken off of the waiting list.
- When we begin scheduling the month, the shop manager will call you, and we will set up the appointment. We do not schedule by email, or DM on instagram or facebook. You must answer or RETURN OUR CALL to be scheduled. Keep in mind that the appointment waiting list varies in time and may be a few weeks.If you have a specific time restraint, like you’ll only be here for a week on vacation, or will be moving away, please give the shop a call to discuss possible options before purchasing a deposit. If you have time constraints, or days that you might be late/ or have to leave early, please let us know so that we may schedule appropriately. 603-433-2616
Can I come into the studio to discuss my ideas?
First we ask that you fill out an online consult form. If its a complex tattoo, a sleeve, a back piece, or a cover-up we will ask you to come in to do an in person consult so that we can trace out the shape of your body and take photographs. If you are getting a small tattoo, we don’t generally do in person consults. When you come in for your appointment, we can discuss any thoughts or design changes.
What hours do you work?
The shop is open 11-7pm Tues-Friday. We close at 7pm. Sat 11am to 8 pm. We will not come in on our days off, as there are child care issues.
What do you charge?
The shop minimum is $70.
- Smaller work (can be completed within 3hrs) is quoted by each individual piece. (based on size and body placement)
- The shop minimum is $70, and all small tattoos are generally done by Josh. Stina’s and James’ minimums are $250
- Large work (3+hrs) By Stina and James are $150 per hour, with a minimum of 3 hours/$450 per session. Josh is $125 per hour, with a minimum of 3 hours/$375 per session.
- Hourly appointments less than 3 hours will be priced according to size and placement. They will NOT receive the hourly rate. Make sure to discuss budget with your artist if you have limitations.
- Large tribal pieces are faster than other styles and is priced at $200 an hour.
Do you take credit cards?
Yes. Visa, American Express, MasterCard and discover. We use Intuit, GoPayment credit card processing. We use Paypal on our website.
How does the tip thing work?
Tips are kind of the same as they are with hairdressing. They’re not required, but more of an act of gratitude and appreciation for the extra effort or pleasant experience. There is no set percentage or amount. We all appreciate any amount and the gesture.
How much is a sleeve/back piece?
I can not give you an estimate on most large tattoos. It’s calculated per session, hourly. (so you pay for the time you get tattooed each time). An average sleeve might take between 20-40 hours. It varies depending on detail of the design, color and how well you heal. Please discuss this with your artist.
How long is your waiting list?
It can really vary depending on the time of the year. Sometimes it is a month, sometimes it’s 3. The summer and tax return season is generally very busy and book out in advance.
Can I see my design ahead of time?
No. I draw my designs either of the day of, or a couple of days before the appointment. I like to have the design fresh in my mind. That’s why I ask that you be thorough in your consult e-mail. I’m assuming that you looked at my portfolio and liked the work that you saw there. If my ideas are out of my normal style, I will call or email you to discuss. I’m not going to give you something you don’t like/want. If you don’t like what I’ve drawn, we can discuss or make changes on the day of the appointment. It’s really not a big deal to change drawings at the appointment. We will make sure your design is what you want and you love it!
Can I bring my child or friends?
You can NOT bring children, it’s not a safe environment for them and it will distract you/me and stress you/me out. You can bring a friend, but please not a crew. It’s not only distracting for you, but it’s very disruptive for me. If you bring a child with you, your appointment will be canceled and you will lose your deposit.
What should I bring/do for my appointment?
- Arrive on time, or 5-10 minutes early.
- Please DO NOT wear perfumes or colognes, they’re too strong and will cause Stina to have a migraine. (which will result in a rescheduled appointment.)
- MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE A SUNBURN! You can NOT get a tattoo on sunburned skin.
- Wear appropriate clothing. You will need to expose whatever body part you’re having tattooed and the ink could stain the surrounding clothing.
- Please make sure to bring a snack, and a bottle of water.
- You might want to bring a pillow, and a sweatshirt. It can get chilly when you’re half dressed.
Should I do anything special before/after?
A tattoo puts a lot of stress on your body. You’ll have a higher pain tolerance if you’ve had a good night of sleep and had a healthy breakfast/lunch. Also this applies to the healing. If you want to heal better make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, eat well and get plenty of sleep.
I e-mailed you and got no reply!
Honestly, I get so many messages a day that some of them occasionally get lost. I typically reply to e-mails once a week. If it’s been over a week, feel free to message me again or call. I am not purposefully ignoring you. 603-433-2616
I messaged you on Facebook.
I need all of my messages together in one place. I can not hunt down each message and respond in 5 places. Please send messages to my e-mail instead.
I need to cancel my appointment, what do I do?
We require a 48 hour notice to retain your deposit. You must CALL 603.433.2616. Facebook is NOT acceptable. EMAIL IS NOT acceptable. CALL. If you leave me a message on Facebook or e-mail, I will probably not see it and you will lose your deposit. Please call.
Where are you located?
167 High street, Portsmouth NH
How do I leave a deposit? After you speak with an artist and you discuss the time, the budget, and the design, you will be asked to leave a deposit. You may stop into the studio to do this, or leave it in our webstore– Keep in mind- All deposits are non-refundable and holds your appointment. It goes toward your LAST appointment. If you cancel within 48 hours, your deposit is forfeit and you’ll need to leave another deposit for your next appointment. If you cancel twice, you’ll need to pay for the tattoo in full before we can reschedule. Also if you don’t show up/call, disappear for 6 months, or otherwise screw me over, you’ll lose your deposit. If I feel like you don’t respect my time, or value my services, I will probably discontinue our work relationship.